Tuesday, January 13, 2015

5 Weight Loss Tips for 2015


I am not any kind of weight loss or health expert. Exhibit A: I’m typing this next to a half-eaten bag of Cheetos and a few fun-sized KitKats. But stick with me.


Once upon a time during a magical time called Summer After Freshman Year, I quit my dance program, ate a diet entirely of bread and chocolate, and gained about 30 pounds. I let the weight stick around for a couple of years, until I finally couldn’t stand the way my jeans were always too tight. So I found a few things that worked for me to healthily drop the weight.

Let me know what's worked for you, and I wish us all the best of luck in our fitness New Years goals.



  1. Drink more water. Our bodies need water. Once, the very handsome Biggest Loser coach Bob Harper told me (through the TV) to drink a glass of water before breakfast every morning. Yes, Bob. Anything you say. I also sip it throughout the day, aiming to get through 3 bottles during work and another one at home. A cute and functional water bottle helps. Try this, this or THIS. (WARNING: you will make more potty trips than you thought your bladder capable of)


  1. Use smaller plates. If awards existed for Worst Ever At Portion Control, I’d be a gold medalist. When something tastes yummy, I want to eat all of it, no matter how much my aching stomach protests. To help curb this bad habit, I use smaller dinner plates. If I’m still hungry after round one, I go back for more.


  1. Don’t eat the last bite. Refer to #2 and my ability to defy recommended portions. A rule I came up with for myself during the thick of my weight loss attempts: leave one bit on the plate. The point: when you’re full, leave what’s left on the plate. You DON’T have to eat it.


  1. Choose several small meals over bigger courses. This advice has been rampant lately, and I agree with it wholeheartedly. Instead of stuffing yourself during the three traditional meals, eat as much as you need whenever you want. For me, if that meant I ate 20 bitty meals in 8 hours, then that was aaaa-okay.


  1. Move your body. I don’t exercise regularly. I try. Really, I try. Zumba makes it easier--I love the fun, upbeat class atmosphere, and I recommend finding something YOU love. But even with a gym membership, I don’t find myself spending hours doing aerobics or weights every week. Instead, I try to move a little whenever I can. This means, most days, I drive to the gym, lift for 10 minutes, and leave. I walk or run around the neighborhood when I can. My motto: five minutes of exercise is better than none.

1 comment: