Monday, August 4, 2014

July Book - A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana

A Girl Named Zippy

Lex's Review:
My expectations for this book weren't the highest going into it knowing that this book was written as a memoir; However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed Kimmel's recollections of her escapades in a small mid-western town where everyone had their nose in someone else's business. I found that even the simplest story of riding her bike over train tracks or her old, cantankerous neighbor "chasing" her had me laughing so hard that I had to share them with my husband or anyone in my immediate vicinity. Although the stories tend to skip around a little, it was easy to follow her life story and see how her antics shaped her into the person she was at the end of the book. I would recommend A Girl Named Zippy to anyone with a three hour flight who wants a light, easy and entertaining read, and I'm desperately wishing that I knew Kimmel in real life. Oh, the stories she has to tell!

Andy's Review:
Honesty time: when I picked this up at Barnes & Noble, the wide-eyed baby staring blankly back at me from the cover was disconcerting (but this is coming from a woman who can't be in the same room with dolls for more than a few minutes before scenes from Chucky start playing in her head on repeat).

That being said, this gem is honest and charming. Kimmel's quick stories were not only entertaining, but dug up old memories from my own (somewhat small town) childhood that I never would have remembered otherwise. I always forget how astute & observant children can be. Seeing the world through the eyes of an odd, rowdy little girl is both refreshing and hilarious. A Girl Named Zippy taught me that all families really do have their quirks, that adventure exists in everyday life, and that chiggers sound absolutely terrifying. Also, someone finally summed up my feelings about sports in the most perfect way:

"I later discovered that in order to be a good athlete one must care intensely what is happening with a ball, even if one doesn't have possession of it. This was ultimately my failure: my inability to work up a passion for the location of balls" (161).




Have you read A Girl Named Zippy before? What was one of your favorite parts? Did you find Zippy hilariously awkward, or maybe just annoying?


August's book is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

"Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it."

2 comments:

  1. my best friend and her mother LOVE this book! and i love, love memoirs. im definitely thinking i need to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and how it gets 2 different perspectives! I always liked to read different people's views on items. So this blog is perfect. Also, I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. You can read more about it here: http://www.shambray.com/2014/09/i-was-nominated-for-leibster-award-at.html

    Shambray
    http://www.shambray.com

    ReplyDelete